Hello Everyone – this not only for college fairs, but also provides links for some other great hidden gems.
SCS One Step Forward Summer 2017 College Readiness Program Registration Open!
**GREAT opportunity for juniors, sophomores, and freshman*** Get a head start on becoming experts in the college application process. WHAT YOU DO NOW MATTERS!
Sunnyside Community Services College Readiness is proud to announce registration for the 2017 One Step Forward Summer College Readiness Program! The six-week One Step Forward Summer Program is primarily designed for juniors, sophomores and freshmen who want to increase their chances of being admitted to competitive colleges/universities. Participants are engaged in the following activities–
· Admissions workshops learning about various criteria colleges require students to fulfill before entering a college/university.
· Weekly SAT + SAT 2 classes building their evidence based reading/writing and math skills for the examination.
· College essay building and application sessions.
- Working on early drafts of personal statements and supplements for college applications.
- Identifying prospective colleges/universities students will apply to in the near future, assessing various schools’ academic ratings, programs/majors offered, size, student to faculty ratio, cost, scholarships and financial support offered and other valuable factors informing their application process.
- Visiting different public and private colleges and universities on campus tours and participating in admissions information sessions at these institutions. Past colleges/universities visited include: Yale, Brown, Columbia , Barnard, Sarah Lawrence, New York University, Union, Vassar, Skidmore, Bard, Manhattanville, Fordham, Smith, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, Amherst, Harvard, Boston College , Boston University, MIT, Eugene Lang, Queens and Brooklyn.
-Participating in college round-tables with competitive institutions, offering an intimate look at admissions criteria, curriculum, financial aid opportunities and student life on various campuses. Past colleges/universities who have visited our program include: Yale, Wesleyan, Hobart and William Smith, St. Lawrence, Sarah Lawrence, Connecticut College, Fairfield, University of Buffalo, University of New Haven and CUNY colleges.
- Financial Aid workshops where participants learn about the various forms of financial aid and, more importantly, appropriate methods of applying for state and federal aid for higher education.
- Reading two novels and participating in seminar style sessions developing critical analytical skills while discussing the themes of the books in addition to writing a five-page paper and conducting a creative group presentation connected to these literary works.
Registration for the One Step Forward Summer College Readiness Program has begun! Registration occurs in person Monday-Friday from 3:00-7:30pm. The cost for the six-week program is $450. But act quickly—seats are limited! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions: (718) 784-6173 ext. 436 after 2:00pm. We look forward to working with your students this summer!
Below are links to some fun and light articles to prepare you for the college experience, inspire you, and educate you on some college trends.
Colleges That Change Lives
These schools tend to offer small environments and also provide a healthy amount of financial support if you qualify.
Take a look – you never know it might be your next step in your education pathway.
Colleges That Change Lives: http:// .org/
Greetings from Barnard College and thank you to those who attended our annual HEOP Scholars Breakfast last month! We are excited to announce another great opportunity for you, your students and their families to learn about Barnard’s Collegiate Programs: the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) and the Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP).
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2016
College Access Fair for African-American/Black and Latino/Hispanic Students and their Families
Date: Saturday, November 19, 2016
Location: Fordham University Rose Hill Campus All students and families are welcome!
2016 Open House at LaGuardia Community College- CUNY
REGISTER —> Link to Register for LaGuardia Open House
|Description:||This is a unique opportunity for prospective students and their parents to come on campus and get an opportunity to explore LaGuardia. They will learn what academic programs, and support services are offered. They will meet faculty and staff and tour the facility. Throughout the day, these participants will be engaged in ways that direct them to take the next step–apply to this college.|
|Category:||OPEN HOUSE -Recruitment|
|Starts On:||05 Nov 2016 11:00 AM ET|
|Ends On:||05 Nov 2016 03:00 PM ET|
|Address:||31-10 Thomson Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11101
BARNARD — HEOP Scholars Family Day
Please encourage students and their families to join us as we discuss the details of the HEOP and CSTEP Scholars Programs at Barnard, as well as important admissions and financial aid information for prospective applicants. Current students will be available to talk about their experiences in these programs at Barnard.
All programming will be available in both English and Spanish.
HEOP serves high-achieving and motivated students from New York who lack the financial resources to afford college. Students benefit from academic support, advising, free tutoring, a lending library and more. Please visit our website to view the eligibility requirements for HEOP at Barnard.
CSTEP serves historically under-represented or financially disadvantaged Barnard students from New York who intend to pursue a career in the STEM fields, health-related fields and/or the licensed professions. Visit our website to learn more about the eligibility requirements for CSTEP at Barnard.
You or your students may RSVP for Family Day online here. Registration will be available on a first come, first served basis.
We look forward to seeing you on campus!